Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

6.5 n/a no cold advance idol, smokes bad at start up now,and…

Customer Question
6.5 n/a no cold advance...
6.5 n/a no cold advance idol, smokes bad at start up now,and exhaust smells of fuel bad, Hwy speed ,smoke is gone and runs well,but city it will smoke before hits second gear then good,.if I park and rev it will fuel smoke as well if I ref it,
When the truck is at cold "fast idle " it does not ,and I can't stress how quiet the motor is, normally "when heathy" it clatters loud (normal diesel) and fast idle , I mean sound like a gasser quiet, but when it is warm it sounds normal.
Also when she shoots out puffs of smoke in the city , I notice engine spudders a little. That's at light throttle I mean..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Also my motor is about 350 ish kms, seem original, it also start very easy and quick to start.
It started after. Got diesel at a no name station, so I thought was bad diesel, now I have a new tank in, and still bad,, I put Lucas in also in case,with each fill up now,..
I pulled off the green wire to my injection pump and It went little low rpm a little, to see if that switch was ok,,then I added 12v to IP to see if helped but nothing.
I did notice once in a while I don't hear my lift pump ticking, but she starts evertime..
also it's a mechanical injection pump....no pmd
1/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The issue you have described here sounds like the common fault of one or more of the injector nozzles allowing to much fuel into the engine at certain engine speeds or the fuel injection pump itself is at fault needing replaced.Both of these are common issues for this model here and for the condition the vehicle has right now.If you have not had the injector nozzles checked/tested as well as the injection pump this needs done to see if a fault can be located and then it can be repaired from there to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete