Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I'm working on a 97 Chevy Vortex…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I'm working on a 97 Chevy Vortex 5.7L engine. While trying to take off the timing sprocket, with a gear puller, the threads on the end of the crank got messed up. So, I'm thinking the threads need to be re tapped. Do you have a suggestion as to what is the best way to accomplish this or what number of tap or taper is. All I know is it is a fine thread.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

While trying to remove the timing sprocket, using a gear puller that didn't have a cone on the end, I messed up the threads on the end of the crank shaft. Please advise

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/17/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

you need to go to your local auto parts store and pick up a tap size of 7/16 X 20

then run that tap into the crank threads to clean them up

that should correct this issue you rare having

if you can not start the tap because of metal being rounded in use a small file to remove some of that rolled over metal enough to start the tap and you should be fine

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Gary, I apologize for not returning a quick response to your solve on my timing chain project. Your help was very helpful and allowed me to remove the crank sprocket with ease. My next problem was very timely and somewhat costly. I mis-read the torque information as to torquing the timing chain bolts. In doing so, I broke 2 bolts, got one of them out, but only one :-(. I tried everything, including drilling a pilot hole for an easy out, tried this twice, only to break the easy out inside the pilot holes. Finally said the hell with it, and put the cover on over top of the broken bolt. This project took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but at least it is done now, and the engine runs fine... Thanks again for your help...

anytime

dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician