Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004,5.3 215000 klm, I change oil every 5000 klm - had app…

Customer Question
2004,5.3 215000 klm...

2004,5.3 215000 klm , I change oil every 5000 klm - had app 3500 on oil when oil light came on . was down 2 L - also coolant was down 2 L. this is the first time ever for this .

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Noticed a puff of blue - white smoke sometimes when i start engine

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/17/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Pull the engine dipstick and look for coolant on it. Also, remove the radiator cap and look for spots of brown oil in it. If you have an engine compression gauge you should also use that.

no coolant on dipstick

So you already suspected a blown head gasket?

How long has the been loosing coolant/oil and blowing out white/blue smoke?

If it hasn't been long, perhaps there hasn't been enough time for coolant to build up in the oil pan, but I assume you just added oil plus if the oil level is so low it don't even touch the dipstick then coolant won't how up. Look under the oil fill cap instead.

plus, what about the oil in the radiator?

If you had a cooling system pressure tester you could pump the cooling system up to 15 psi while the idling was idling and if coolant was making it into the combustion chamber it would blow out white smoke even more. I don't like suggesting to do that, so you might want to remove all of the spark plugs and look for coolant on them. Even before that though, while the engine is idling, you might see air bubbles too coming up in the radiator. That, too should confirm a blown head gasket between the combustion chamber and cooling system.

Instead of "coolant won't how up" that should say show up not how up.

Have you checked any of that yet?