Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

, My 2008 chevrolet 3.2 LTZ 2008 gearbox doesnt want to

Customer Question
Customer: Hi ***** *****, JA...
Customer: Hi ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi ***** *****. My 2008 chevrolet 3.2 LTZ 2008 gearbox doesnt want to move forward or backwards when shift into drive or reverse. One day i was driving to school picking up my kids this is when the problem suddenly occur. The car start and idle and you can change gears but no response it has automatic gearbox. Please help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/15/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

what model Chevy is this ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi chevrolet Captiva 3.2 LTZ 2008 model.
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello there,

I am a GM tech, so I'll offer you some advice.

We have the same car in Australia.

With suddenly no drive in forward or reverse, it could be one of a few things, but hopefully not too costly.

Does it have any red fluid leak?, it could happen at any time.

This is a very important check to make for me.

It could be a TCM, valvebody, or another electronic fault.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,Thanks for your response ill check and get back to you.Regards,Nicolas Jansen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please explain the words valvebody and TCM.

Hi Nicolas,

The valvebody is a plate assembly inside the transmission with all the shift solenoids.

The TCM is the Transmission Control Module, has the program for shift points

Can be updated as necessary, logs codes for faults, can be viewed for data etc.

In your case the TCM and the valvebody are one unit called a TEHCM.

(Transmission Electronic Hydraulic Control Module).

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,I have checked it doesn't have any red fluid leak.Regards,Nicolas Jansen

Hi Nicolas,

That is some good news.

Hopefully it is an electronic issue, and a code has stored.

Will give the techs a path to take.

Have you taken the car to a GM dealer?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,I went to them but they rather quote me on a new gearbox.Regards,Nicolas Jansen

Hi Nicolas,

Unfortunately that does happen with the GM GF6 transmission.

I have seen this many times, in and out of warranty.

I didn't want to scare you initially.

The GM dealer is most probably correct.

A new or SRTA transmission is the best option for you.

Regards.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,Does it mean the the possibility of an electronic fault is out of the question here. I cant understand the transmission didn't gave any problems previously except for that one day. Should we not checked if its not maybe an electronic fault. The guys dont even check the transmission they advice me to rather buy a new transmission.Regards,Nicolas Jansen

Hi again Nicolas,

I have seen a few cars, Cruze and Captiva, have no drive.

I have experienced one on a lengthy roadtest with another tech on board and a laptop viewing transmission data.

I had a box of neutrals, no drive after 20 mins. Shut down, cool down a bit, drive back to workshop. Vehicle got new trans under warranty.

The new transmissions are better now, I have not seen a duplicate failure on any car.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,Thanks for your help. The problem is i dont have R110 000.00 to replace the transmission. Can it be repaired?Regards,Nicolas Jansen

I have repaired a lot of transmissions, although these days they are so complex, it is more productive and more cost effective to replace it as an exchange unit.

Your price sounds about right to me, around $9000 AUD fitted.

I'm sorry to bear bad news to you.

Does it still not drive even after cooling down?

If it could drive, would you contemplate trading the car rather than spending that money on it?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Gary,No not even when cold. Do you think a reconditioned transmission will be a good idea.Regards,Nicolas Jansen

Could be cheaper, BUT will it be as good?

It might be difficult to locate one as well.

Try your local auto transmission shop.

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician