Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2006 chevy aveo. Im installing the harmonic

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 2006...
Hi. I have a 2006 chevy aveo. Im installing the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft after doing a timing belt. Does this go on a certain way? I noticed that it has a cut on the back of it where it lays against the crank. There is a matching cut on the crank. So I put them together like lock and key trying to hold it still so it would not move it didnt but when it was snug I noticed the bolt is way off center to the big round balancer. Should it be? Should I just forget about the lock and key thing and just center the bolt as close I can on it and tighten it down. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/13/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, Can you take a picture of this bolt being off center? I am not understanding that part at all, I need to see what you are talking about, send a picture to this post is the best way

no,Im sorry I dont have a smart phone. or camera. do you think I have a special procedure for install?
I cant seem to find the procedure for install it seems people may just bolt it on, but I want to be sure?

there is no procedure, You have to align the notch and tab on the crank, You have to, or enegine will be way out of balance.No way for the bolt to be off ceneter when balancer is set at front of crank on the notch, Sure wish I could see what you see but .. there is no special procedure, here is the pic of the balancer showing the notch, you have this as well

well, I dont see a tab in the crank. There is a faint outline of this same imprint if you will of this notch design, I did match them up together but it looks as if the bold is not in the center of the circle so to speak. I guess I will watch you tube videos and see what it looks like before they took it off. Its just that I have never seen them put on on on this car.

the big bolt is NOT to look off center at all, you have something not set right with balancer to end of crank

I have a imprint of that I cant say its a tab. its all really a flat surface. with a maybe 1ml imprint of that rises out that looks like this.

I am sorry I do not understand at all. I have to opt out

I really dont have a smart phone I have a old car and I dont have any type of phone contracts. I have a camera but I dont think I have the wires to connect to my laptop. Yeah its just a flat surface the hormonic balancer sat on top of.
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Check that the bolt is not cross-threaded. See if you can easily screw it in at least 4 full turns. Remove the damper for now if you must.

was the bolt cross-threaded?

Never mind, I see from your other post it's on already.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic