Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2002 trailblazer ext. I keep blowing the 10 amp abs fuse. I

Customer Question

2002 trailblazer ext. I keep blowing the 10 amp abs fuse. I have changed the abs unit and bleed the brakes. I blow the fuse again. I need a wire diagram and some info on how to track this down.
Thanks for the help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the ABS #33 60a fuse in the underhood fuse block?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

if so, here is that wiring diagram,

It says it runs the abs pump.

Can you unhook the abs pump?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse still blows with it unhooked, then there is a short in that wire/circuit, because that abs pump is the only thing on that circuit.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If not perhaps the ground G304 is bad.

Are you putting in 60 amp fuses?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You might want to see if there are any codes in that brake module or pcm/bcm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

G304 is located on the outside of left frame rail, near electronic brake control module. Unbolt it, clean the metal and retighten it and see if the fuse blows now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not blowing the 60 amp fuse. I am blowing the 10 amp fuse underneath the rear seat I would like a wiring diagram for that hot line to the ABS unit. I have already cleaned the ground wire on the side of the frame rail
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

1 second

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't see an ABS fuse in that fuse box. Are you sure it's not called a "brake" fuse, #51, it's a 10a.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If so here,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It was in that other diagram also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That's odd, in one diagram it says that brown wire goes to the pcm and the other diagram it says that brown wire goes to the ebcm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find the junction under the hood fuse block so I can try an isolate the problem. There is 4 numbers on the diagram. How do find that on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when I disconnect the abs module I do not blow the fuse. I only blow the fuse when I move I have two history codes. Left front speed sensor and rear wheel speed sensor Not sure in understand how to trouble shoot this. I can replace the fuse and see the abs module with my scanner. With a new fuse in I can see all speed sensors in the data section on my scanner and the appear to be functional. If I start moving I blow the fuse
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you clean that G304 ground yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that ground is also for the 4x4 and that works
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

that is not what I am reading. That is not the ground for the 4wd.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

was this a new ecbm you installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used abs module from a yard that I trust very dearly
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

let me see if there are any tsb's about that. backing up here, did you say you cleaned the g304 ground? Also, why did you think the 4wd was also grounded there? I might be looking at the wrong diagram if you can prove that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I found this tsb which says "ensure a good connection for the battery cable to frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS" as well as making sure the g304 is a good clean ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I just checked with the yard, the truck from which I got the module from and the fuse in that truck is not blown. So it is something to do with my truck. I Have CLeaned the ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the ground close to the drivers door on the out side of the frame
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What about the ground between the battery cable to frame ground, did you clean that one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stop with the ground stuff. I have zero ohms resistance from black wire G304 to the battery! I have no other electrical troubles on the truck. Please help me trouble shoot this with an ohm meter!. I am out $38 dollars and another day of in my shop. I had other things going on so it was not a wasted day. What other wires coming off the abs unit could ground out and causes this? This needs to be out of my shop mid day tomorrow
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I am stumped. I don't know what else to check. You don't have o be out $38, that was just a deposit, you can get that back if you ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send my question to another expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reasked my question so please cancel my question as unanswered