Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Replaced engine in a 1996 blazer 4.3 and now it has 75psi

Customer Question
oil pressure at all times...
Replaced engine in a 1996 blazer 4.3 and now it has 75psi oil pressure at all times any idle ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
The oil pressure stays at 75psi at idle and when you rev it up it goes to 80-90 I'm not sure what's going
1/10/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like the sender unit may not be working. I would start by replacing the sender unit. while the sender is out, you can check the actual pressure with a gauge. you can rent a tester at a parts store.

Roy

It has a new sender unit in it and I have checked the oil pressure with a machanical gage and is was reading 75 at idle as well

ok, if that is the case then the check valve in the oil pump is the failure. the oil pump will have to be replaced.

Roy

Just to make sure the sender unit is the sensor located on the back of the block right

thats correct. if you were wrong you would not have been checking the oil pressure

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Ok that's what I thought but I checked the oil pressure from the plug on the bottom of the oil filter housing since the oil filter is located up by the radiator and is the only thing that can cause the high oil pressure is the bad oil pump?

the check valve in the pump, yes but you need to replace the entire pump for this.

Roy

Can you change the oil pump without removing the engine

yes, more difficult if it is a***** the motor will have to be raised.

Roy

Ok and I don't think mentioned it was a new motor I installed not a used or junk yard

ok, makes no difference

it should be warranty from the manufacturer

Roy

how are you makingout

It's good now it was the check valve in the oil filter housing I replaced the oil filter housing and oil cooler lines and the pressure is running about 50-55 at idle now
On the housing the oil filter screws onto

thats interesting.it is not a pressure regulator, just a check valve to retain oil in the filter.

Roy

Ya that's what I thought by that's all I done and now it's fine
Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest