Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Just replaced left front rotor and pad,Really had to beat

Customer Question

Just replaced left front rotor and pad,Really had to beat and heat to get it apart,rusty
Now front axle wobbles like it is loose in hub. When I jack it up I can move wheel back and forth half inch,I can see axle moving in and out of hub, like it is loose, could I have broken something that holds axle secure in hub? I think I have 36mm nut tight on splined shaft. Is that what holds axle in place,or do you think I have somethging else going on ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the big axle nut tight ?

the axle itself is loose in the hub or is the hub itself showing the play in it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
axle itself
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it is just the axle itself then see if the nut will tighten but if you can rock the wheel back and forth the odds are it is the hub/bearing that is bad as the axle being loose will NOT cause and wheel play felt at all

the odds are of the axle nut if tight replacing the hub/bearing will correct this issue the odds are the heat and beating damaged the inner hub/bearing bearings

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their is a circular housing that the axle sits in ,I noticed the axle was loose in this housing after I heated with mapp torch and also after beating on the old rotor. Bearing spun freely after I took hub off. That still doesnt explain why axle does not fit securely nin housing. Would a movie help you to understand? I could take one later today and maybe send it by text or email?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes that is fine you can upload it right though here for me to see or copy and paste a YouTube link to the video

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to wait till my grandson gets back with phone. Do you have any idea why that axle does not fit tight in housing
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the axle itself is loose in the splines of the center of the hub bearing then the nut is loose or the nut has been loose and the axle splines have been rubbing in and out for so long it wore the splines out

I am more concerned on the 1 inch wheel play being felt by hand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will probably be an hour or so .will you still be around? oh the splines look real good. What actually holds the axle snugly in housing. Is there any plastic involved or is it friction fit or is it the nut on splined shaft?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no just the big axle nut holds the axle tight into the center of the hub/bearing

sounds good i will reply back later on

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?