Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 1988 CHEVY K2500 Scottsdale and I let this mechanic

Customer Question

I have a 1988 CHEVY K2500 Scottsdale and I let this mechanic change out the doors so I would have power windows, after weeks of them working on it, they claimed it was done and they had put a different dash in it. But the gauges were not working the windshield wipers didn't work, the tail lights didn't work and the battery went dead. the alternator is new and has been tested, which is good. After talking with this guy, come to find out they put a 1993 dash and wiring harness in it and they changed the steering column out with a who knows what year GMC steering column. This truck has a brand new crate motor in it and the original wiring under the hood. Everything worked and it drove just fine until they swapped all this out and now a year later and two electrical shops that couldn't figure it out. I'm stumped. I was just wondering if these are interchangeable to start with and if you have any suggestions on where I should start to get this truck back on the road?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, there is some information missing that is needed -

did they install a bcm and ecm from the 93 vehicle

did the steering column come out of one with theft control

did the dash and steering column come out of same vehicle or different vehicles.

The easy answer is to go back to an 88 dash and steering column, but it would be better to get the existing ones working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if they were changed how can I tell?
Same with the steering column?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

That would be almost impossible to know just by visual inspection. Any way you can contact the original mechanic to find out exactly what all as replaced and with exactly what year parts were used

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the inside wiring harness, the dashboard with heater controls not the instrument cluster out of a 1993 K2500,the steering column out of ? and the two doors with power windows out of a 1993 K1500
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, let me pull the schematics and see what I can find out about this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I have looked over the schematics have and to be honest, this is something that is really going to need hands on inspection, at least for me. I will opt out and see if another expert can help