Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with a 3 button switch that is

Customer Question

Customer: Dave, I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with a 3 button switch that is stuck in 4WD High
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The indicator light on the switch is in 4WD High. I replaced the actuator valve and the encoder motor. The TCCM clicks when I press 2WD but does nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

sense the switch light does flash,i would think the problem is still at the encoder actuator,,it is very common to get a bad new encoder motor for these.

remove the encoder and use a crescent wrench to manually shift the transfer case back and forth a few times,sometimes the case can stick and be really hard to shift from a lack of use,,

then re-install the encoder motor,

again if this encoder motor doesnt have enough power to shift the case,i would think you will need another encoder actuator

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will try that. The encoder motor I put in was brand new so I'm supposed it could be bad. It will be a couple of days till I can get to it. Can I contact you after to make sure thatsit

yes,just reply back here,i will answer when i am on line

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, I removed the new encoder motor and manually shifted it. It moved fairly easy with the crescent wrench. what else should I try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it could be the transfer case switch and where is that located?

i would think you will need to repace that encoder...it is common to get a bad new one

thanks

the transfer cvacuum swictch is mouted on top of the transfer case,it has 3 vacuum lines that go to it

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way of testing it?

the vacuum comes from the intake to the switch,it 4wd,it sends the vacuum though a hose to the vacuum actuator under the battery that pulls a cable that engages the front differential..the other line on the switch is just a vent.

the switch only operates the front,has nothing to do with the case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, It's taken me a while but I tested the encoder motor and when I jumppered the motor with a 12 volt battery it move fine. I also got a used TCCM that tested out ok and that didn't work either. Any other ideas

do not operate the motor without it being mounted to the transfer case.

just because the case motor moves if not mounted,does not mean it has enough power to shift the case

thanks