Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado with a 5.0L. I was driving

Customer Question
home and was at a...
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado with a 5.0L. I was driving home and was at a stop sign and all of a sudden, brake pedal went to the floor. I was almost home and had very little brakes and no pedal until I was dang near the floor. I drove it to work because I have a shop there. I went through everything and when I first checked had no fluid in front reservoir so filled that and bled RR, LR, RF and then LF. I did this several times and I barely got any fluid out of rear bleaders. I replaced wheel cylinders 3 years ago and haven't had a problem until now. Also when pulling in the shop, front wheels locked up and slid when I stopped and pedal went to floor before they did that. Also, traced all lines and connection and no leaks or blows in lines. I'm thinking I've lost vacuum or the Master Cylinder might be junk. After I bled for a long time I had the reservoir full and I had someone pumping the brakes constantly as I looked all over for leaks again and up by the master cylinder it sounded like a bunch of fluid flowing like filling up something and no leaks observed anywhere and once again, front reservoir was empty after filling it before checking everything again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
1/9/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

so there is NO brake fluid leaks at all and the fluid is staying full in the reservoir ?

since the booster is just a vacuum assist if there was any kind of booster issue the brake pedal would just be very hard to push but usually would not cause the pedal to go to the floor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I chased all lines and have found no leaks. The booster stayed full as bled brakes due to checking it and refilling it of course, but after I stopped bleeding brakes, I filled front reservoir full and checked for leaks again and found none checked reservoir and the front reservoir was empty.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've always had funny brakes where they were always spongey. I've had the truck since 2004

if you unbolt and slide the master cylinder forward off the booster is there brake fluid in the booster ? or out of the rear of the master cylinder ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not done that yet, but when I was checking for leaks the last time and someone was pumping brakes, it sounded like fluid was shooting in the booster and filling it up but couldn't find any fluid anywhere

since that front was low again the brake fluid has to be going somewhere

pull the mater forward the odds are its leaking out the back of it and filling the booster with the brake fluid

if that is the case the master and booster needs to be changed

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

how are you making out ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician