GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

It is about greasing the slip yoke on a 98 tahoe
,

Customer Question

Customer: Hello! It is about greasing the slip yoke on a 98 tahoe
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, heard it does away with the "clunk" that I am feeling. Only on takeoff.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long until I get an answer?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that grease can leak into the transfer case, would this be an issue on my make and model and does it only pertain to the front driveshaft?
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

You are feeling what is called Slip Bump. What is happening is the slip yoke into the transfer case or transmission is binding under power. The fix takes about an hour and if you can take it off, yourself and have a small file, then you can do this yourself. Using a small triangular file, file the edge of the splines in the slip yoke. 1-2 quick strokes is enough. You just want to smooth the corner off. Ideally you will not be able to see a difference, but when you clean it out and lube it with grease, then install it, that slip bump will be gone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is OK to grease without having to worry about it getting into the transmission fluid in the transfer case? Saw a bulletin to not grease these on 4wd, but not sure if that applies to my make and model or if it was the front drive shaft only. Lastly, should it be a thing layer of grease or should I hit it pretty liberally?Thank you,

Slight layer of grease on the splines is fine, filling the yoke will push it into the transfer case.