Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Which 350. Chevy engine has the hugest horsepower

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
1/6/2016
Chevy Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, are you wanting to know about a 350 that came stock in a vehicle, One currently made by GM performance as a crate engine, or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to get a 350 .for y 84 corvette and want one with high hp. I want to go used. But wouldn't mind an inexpensive crate motor

Thanks, ***** ***** Vette originally came with a 205 horse engine. There's a lot of good options out there. In order to help you better are you going to be running the crossfire fuel injection that it came with or going with a carburetor?

What would be the most you wanted to spend on the crate engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same that came with it. I want to spend as least as possible and want around 400 hp

Thanks, ***** ***** 385hp I would go with something like this

Engine one

You may have to have your intake slotted to run on those heads since the intake bolt angle changed in 1986. With the fuel injection set up it may actually get better than the rated horsepower bringing you close to 400

If shopping used motors that are factory original specs pretty much anything 1972 and back will be your best bet. They were mostly all 9to 1 compression and had the smaller combustion chamber heads with big valves.

The emmisions laws that came about in 73-74 are what killed the horsepower on the 350's as they went to lower compression and large combustion chambers.

If you really wanted to go budget you could get a long block with a 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression ratio and then install your own cam that matches the specs of the crate engines that have the desired horsepower.

You could also a 383 stroker long block and running the cam you desire

I say long block because the 2.02/1.60 heads are a lot harder to come by used thann they once were and you'll save money buying a long block vs buying the short block then heads seperately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the hp for 72 and back

68-72 would be the best years with roughly 290-350 rated horsepower. Keep in mind GM under rated horsepower figure to get by the insurance companies. actual dyno numbers on cars like the 69 camaro were closer to 100 hp more than rated.

When searching used motors be sure to check casting numbers on heads and blocks to make sure the weren't mismatched over the years. The heads with the 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves are the most desirable to reach the 400hp area. Compression ratios of 9.5 to 1 would also be needed. With those two you could swap in a modern cam with the proper lift and duration to get you where you want to be.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician