Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My name is ***** ***** I am having troubles with my 99 chevy

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** ***** I am having troubles with my 99 chevy Silverado. It will start and then die right away. As far as I can tell the security light does not come on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have replaced the fuel pump, pressure regulator and checked pressure at 50+ lbs. I have also tried the reset process but to no acail;
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I can
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

will the engine stay running somewhat on starting fluid ?

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has been a while since I tried the ether but I believe it did.
The check engine light does not stay on.
As far as I can tell the security light never comes on
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are you able to communicate with the computer and check for codes ?

this is a 5.7 or a 5.3 engine ?

with the key ON the check engine light is NOT lit up in the dash at all or ever ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot communicate with the computer for codesthis is a 4.8 v8the check engine light comes on but goes off after the motor starts then dies
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it will run on starting fluid and the relearn will not ork at this point we have a bad ignition lock passlock sensor not reading the key correctly or the outside chance of a computer failure

can you see if there are any codes in the computer terminal # ***** at the ALDL is missing 12 volts which is usually due to a blown fuse in the under hood fuse box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the information about the engine and lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you decided not to talk with me because I did not want to pay the $18 to talk by phone
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

Do you have a solid security light when the key is on?