Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2002 chevy 1500 5.3 liter no start no CEL.
, truck shut

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** 2002 chevy 1500 5.3 liter no start no CEL.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: truck shut off, showed no gas in tank with key on, cant communicate with pcm message on scan tool, with key on all dash lights work except CEL
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yea
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
scan tool message "cannot communicate with PCM no CEL with key on, erratic voltage at battery when checking between + & - but 12.2 volts when checking + to body ground
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are the fuses called ECMB and ECM in the under hood fuse blown and if NOT blown do they both show 12 volts with the key ON ?

then in the inside fuse box check the same for the fuse called IGN0 with the key ON

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all fuses all ok, I will check the voltage, another thing I have is on the remote terminal under steering column pin 4 to ground should have continuity mine does not and the only way to show 12 volts is checking between pin 4 (neg) and pin 16 (pos) checking pin 16 to chassis ground shows erratic voltage
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you be sure the grounds are clean and tight on the engine ?

or if you run a temp ground from engine to the body ground will the check engine light come back on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ecm fuse shows 12 volts eng1 show no voltage, when checking battery posts again voltage was flashing between 2 volts and 14 volts
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ECM1 shows NO volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just checked again ENG1 and ECM B both 12 volts, but I cant use neg terminal on battery for a ground,
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you run a new ground from the negative battery cable to the engine block ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but not tonight is 7:30 dark and 38 degrees out side!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer