GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

82 Chevrolet C10, inspection is coming up and my headlamps

Customer Question

82 Chevrolet C10, inspection is coming up and my headlamps quit working. I'm switching from the switch/dimmer to on/off switches. 1 for low beams (top headlights) 1 for high beams (bottom headlamps). I do have a multimeter and extra wires, need help knowing what goes where, I'm not too great at reading diagrams for this truck, seeing as it has definitely been worked on before.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

hello, I am not following your question, You are doing what and how? You are putting in what type of switches? where are you doing this and what wire colors at the truck are you looking at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've got 1 hot wire leading to one end of the switch, that's what I have so far. All the wiring for the headlights are not original, because there are black and red wires. Basically what I'm needing g to know is how can I make this toggle switch turn on my headlights.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

to the end of what switch, backing , up wire colors do you have at each headlight and if you mean headlight switch, you should have a yellow wire leaving that switch to the headlight dimmer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no yellow wires. If there's a wire that needs voltage constantly or when the key is on I can find one. Everything under this dash is red and black, nothing is how it's suppose to be.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, easier by this method than phone call as I have to maybe send diagrams, I asked a couple times what wire colors you have at each headlight and the dimmer switch is now gone? you are trying to add a dash switch/? I asked about wire colors at headlight switch also. what wire colors do you have at headlight switch or is this switch gone/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original switch is gone, it was there but something went haywire and it melted. If you're asking about thone wires, there's red with gives a constant 12v, yellow, and orange. That's all that's left of that plug.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, this is what I asked, you said no yellow but now say yellow, It is important to understand what wiring is left for you to work with, now I have also asked a few times., what wire colors do you have at each headlight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black. All wiring at the headlights are black.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Does not make sense , I can not work with same wire colors, It was not made with all black wires., I will opt out and open the post back up,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks I'll just figure it out on my own.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I'll work with you on this if you still want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate it, but I've got it all figured out. Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok