GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

06 Chevy 1500 with 4l60e, continuously shifting into some

Customer Question

06 Chevy 1500 with 4l60e, continuously shifting into some forms of safe mode where it won't shift past 2nd, but once you stop and restart engine ,it continues on as usual for at time.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating

The first step will be to check it for codes. The local part store code reader will likely not be sufficient for this. Do you have access to a good scanner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diablo sport trinity, p1810
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The P1810 is a transmission pressure position switch fault. Have you attempted any repairs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoid also TFP senser
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PSM NOT TFP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressure switch manifold
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The TFP is on the valve body near the manual valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also changed vss speed sensors
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

But the code is for the Transmission pressure position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the only remaining code , originally there was also a code p0748 "pressure control solenoid "a" electrical. And
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

it needs to be addressed before proceeding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What needs to be addressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0128 was the one of the three original codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is coolant thermostat( coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature)
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

the P1810 needs to be addressed.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I am not going to be able to continue to help you. I am going to opt out and let anther expert help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
God bless
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
With your vehicle, what was the condition of the fluid in the pan prior to changing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Cam, didn't realize that you had come on the scene. The fluid was as not degraded or gunky, was slightly darker and seamed thicker than the new fluid. But considering the fact that the truck was bought new in 06 and had only been driven 3,000 miles , likely it was just old.

Your 2006 has only 3000 miles? Wow, I have not heard of that.
Ok so it may be due to fluid issues. Replacing the solenoids did not work, so we need to look at the valve body itself. IF the fluid was thick, it stands to reason the valves inside the valve body might be sticking. I suggest first getting a flush solution and running that through the transmission when hot and then flushing out the fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Cam,
My Grandfather bought the truck new while he was in his late 80's. Shortly thereafter he became unable to drive , it simply sat in his yard for years. We received it as part of an inheritance.
I feel the background of the vehicle is important know so that we're not talking about an overused or abused vehicle. This truck was and is like the day he bought it. Well with the exception of the current state.
I will flush and get back with you afterwards.
Thanks

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for getting back to me.

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While setting up for flush , a glaring anomaly was encountered. It seems as though at some point in the past there has been an attempt to rig together with tape a broken dip stick tube.
Not only tape but also rubberized tubing similar to radiator hose .
It has never leaked and seamed to be perfectly sealed, but I think the addition of this hose could misrepresent the true length of the tube. Causing an inaccurate level reading. So the obvious choice would be to exchange this rigged tube for a new tube.
My question to you is : 1st- any idea what the true length should be. THE TUBE ISN'T READILY AVAILABLE, SO I CAN'T CHECK FOR MYSELF.
2nd- Would over filling the fluid, due to a longer tube, cause some of these issues?
The first set of codes were
P0128- changed thermostat
P0748- replace both shift solenoids and speed sensor
P1810- replaced PSM " pressure switch manifold
Also fluid, filter, pan ring.

Yes, filling with room much fluid would cause it, the fluid to hit the spinning components and aerate which would drop hydraulic pressure.
True length I cannot say. I never had need to measure one. All I can suggest is getting a proper one and installing ot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to locate a replacement tube, and will wait to flush until I can replace.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I while I'm at it replace the transmission internal wiring harness?
Also do you have any experience with these shifting issues being connected to the speedometer and odometer stoppage?

The speedo quite as well?? Does it shift at all?>

The harness is not expensive and might be a good idea if your questioning it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it drives beautifully most of the time, out of nowhere it it jumps out of high and only runs through what feels like second gear. The rmps race if you attempt to get over 35mpg . You can stop turn off the engine immediately restart and it seems to reset .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for not giving you the specifics.
I assumed you could see all the previous entries I had made while speaking with Samuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4l60e, continuously shifting into some form of safe mode where it won't shift past 2nd, but once you stop and restart engine ,it continues on as usual for at time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speedometer as well as the odometer stopped working at the same time the first failure to shift happened. Which was accompanied by the engine light illuminating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the initial parts when this first took place and cleared the codes , only to have the p1810 reset and engine light remain on. This has been 6 month's ago. I only recently attempted to look back into.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All other instruments on the cluster work except "2"- speedometer and odometer and No this is NOT why there is only 3,000 miles on truck. This is what lead me to change vss .

Sorry, little tied up at work Will look into this and reply when I have a better answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanks

Thanks for your patience. Got insanely busy.
Here is the info on that code. Its for the pressure control solenoid so that may play a role in this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22552935/My%20Boot%20Camp%20printed%20document-4.pdf