BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My name is ***** *****. I Need to replace rear shocks on a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I Need to replace rear shocks on a 2004 Chev Tahoe. Auto repair people want 1500 bucks for the replacement shocks installed. Is there a more economical way to take care of this problem? The repair people advised not to go with a shock other than the type on vehicle now.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: These replacement shocks sell for around 350 dollars each. Would it be a mistake to go with the lesser priced shock around 150 each? The shocks on the vehicle now are self leveling or auto adjusting I think. Do I need replace with same thing? Trying not to have to spend 1500 dollars but do not want a bad ride.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Wait for how long. I am on a hotel lobby computer.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. The best thing to do is to use the factory style shocks so that you do not have any issues. If you do not mind having a warning light illuminated on the dash referring to the rear suspension then you can easily go with a cheaper shock that does not have the self adjusting capability. I hope this helps. If you have further questions please let me know and I would be happy to help. Thank you.