Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Tranny kicked into neutral at 75 mph ... wont go into any

Customer Question

tranny kicked into neutral at 75 mph ... wont go into any gear.. clicks when tryin to put in park like my old 82 chevy when in 4low.. not showing fault code. dealership said tcm. what do you think. ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The TCM (transmission control module) can fail to where it sends incorrect signals to the transmission solenoids like the pressure control/regulating solenoid or shift solenoids and sensors in the transmission and cause this here.The main solenoid that would cause the issue would be the pressure control/regulating solenoid at fault.

If the dealer tested this properly and came to the conclusion the TCM is the cause then most likely it needs replaced and can be a common component to fail.I would ask the dealer what type of guarantee they offer this way if it doesnt correct the fault will they pay for the TCM or pay to re diagnose and repair the problem.

The other issue I have seen is an internal fault mechanically with the transmission valve body itself.I have had to replace several valve bodies before for transmission faults like this here.But if the dealer tested and found the TCM at fault then the TCM does need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete