BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2003 Silverado 1500. The driver's side door

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Silverado 1500. The driver's side door functions simply stopped working. Passenger side all good. Thought it might be the module but I haven't been able to replace it yet. Wanted to try the passenger side module but couldn't locate it despite the manual saying it's in the center console fuse box.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if it is the window, locks, and mirrors, or do the seat functions not work either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seat functions work. I thought maybe the harness because all non working features are on the left side door. Audio does work in the door speaker though which is through the harness. All went out at the same time.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If it is just the door functions then most of the time it is caused by a break in the wiring going from the body into the door. Where the door pivots the wires tend to break over time from the constant bending. It can also be a connection issue. If you have a voltage meter I can run you through some tests once you inspect for broken wires in the jam entry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have some time Monday to get back to you on this. Thanks.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I will look for your response then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weather issues...can't get back to you. Maybe tomorrow.Thanks.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

That is fine. Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the harness and the rubber boot and it is in good shape with no cuts or other openings or wear seen. I wiggled the wires/boot while operating a few buttons to see if there might be a short or loose wire and all remained dead.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back with me. It is probably the driver door module then. It is the module that has all of the door switches connected to it. Do you have a voltage meter to run some tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my original thought. Is that the silver module about 3/8 thick by about 1 1/2 inches wide in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash by the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi-tester. Right now it's 12 degrees outside so I'll need to wait until Thursday when I can spend some time outside.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

I will send over some tests that you can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never got the tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to send the tests?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Your questions seemed to drop from my board and I could not find it. I did look a little closer at the schematic for this and it seems like the body control module is the problem. Did you check the TBC BATT fuse under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. I'll double check.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse is fine also check and see if it has voltage. If it does then check the connections on the body control module which is located udner the driver side of the dash on the steering column.