JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

We have a Chevy 4w drive pickup and the front brakes are

Customer Question

We have a Chevy 4w drive pickup and the front brakes are locking up while driving. The stabilization trak and slide light comes on after it happens. It seems to be on the right front because it pulls that way when it locks. This happened twice yesterday.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

do you have any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the guy at Autozone said unless the check engine light was on no codes would show up. He told us to replace the brake pads, the old ones still look brand new. The truck has 49,000 miles on it. Today it locked up when we turned left.

its not the brake pads... is the stabili track light still on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking it to a different parts store tomorrow. The dealer I bought it from is 4 hours away and I am afraid to drive that far with it doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the light comes on after it locks up, but goes off after it sits for a while.

they need a scan tool that has abs functions, a standard engine code reader will not work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light just came back on when we turned left to go into our driveway.

I bet you have a failed hub bearing or wheel speed sensor on one on the front wheels.. do you have a good jack to jack it up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband jacked it up today turned the tires and shook them, but there wasn't any slack.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can tell it is in the right side because it pulls that way when it locks up.

I hate to guess but sounds like the right front wheel speed sensor.. but scanning it will a abs capable scan tool would be a huge help in diagnosing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to call around tomorrow to try to find someone that can do that. We live in a very rural area and all the GM dealers were closed we only have one 40 minutes away. Terrible road with no shoulders if it locks up going over there I will be in big trouble! I am hoping the independent parts dealer near us has a reader that we need. Thank you for your help.

if not every auto shop should be equipped and diagnostic generally runs 1 hour labor and some shop will just retrieve codes for you for a small fee, but that's where you need to start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a code this morning CO455 they said it was a steering column sensor. Does that make sense for the brakes to lock up?

it can cause abs activatition.. Consequently, the inputs from a steering position sensor can be used to vary power steering assist, to modify anti-lock braking and traction control, to assist stability control, to modify the reaction of an electronic suspension system, to modify torque delivery in an electronic all-wheel drive system, and to even monitor the driver himself.