Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I want to know: 1. How does the

Customer Question
I have a 2011 Chevy...
I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I want to know:
1. How does the air intake plenum drain rainwater that enters via the screening near the wipers - is it only at the drain where air conditioner condensate comes out or is there another drain?
2. Where is the air conditioner condensate drain?
3. Also, if small tree debris enters the air plenum via the screen near the wipers, is there a way to get the debris out without removing the screen or dismantling the whole dash and console area?
Rob from Hendersonville, NC
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/19/2015
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi Rob, I am Cam. Can I get your first name?

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Can you tell me if the water seems to accumulate when raining or more when using AC?

To your answers,
1, it should drain down the sides into the door jamb area and to the floor. Looking at the gm manuals, I do see a bulletin (information only) regrading this. Its attached in a printed document and shows where to clean and seal.
2, there is drain and its location is in the picture also attached.
3, you will still need to remove the screen to get the debris out that has fallen in.

Have a look at the information and reply if you have any questions about this.

Cam thank you for the info. The leak occurs during rain with windows shut. Parked outdoors on slope with right front tire 1 foot higher than left rear, I get a quart of water in the left rear footwell removed by shopvac first day, then cup or two each day after. Had it to almost no vacuumable water then it happened again. Removed cotton carpet padding in all footwells, left rear wettest, then right rear, then fronts, stink is 3/4 gone since removed padding. Figure that much water could only be skylight or air intake plenum. Caulked skylight shut, hasn't been in rain since. Don't see any drain exits in any door jamb areas like the youtube video showed for a 2006 skylight drains. Found the A/C drain per your photo. Would rainwater in the air plenum also drain out this drain? Drain seems too small diameter for possible debris. Bought car new, no wrecks, original windshield, door/window seals look good. Stink started 3 months ago after mistake left in rain with windows open. Have laser fit Weather-Tech mats on order will see if they collect water under dash. Also bought GM anti-stink compound to shampoo carpets. Other ideas? I wanted to stick a 4 finger probe up the A/C drain and see if I could pull out any debris - shame there is an elbow in the drain. Was parked under hemlock and pine trees - alot of small debris could have got in plenum.

If I may, I would not proceed until we confirm the water stops with it sealed shut. Perhaps you need to make it rain, spraying water on the vehicle.
No it should not drain water through plenum through the AC drain, that is only for water accumulated from the core itself. The drains in the corners will be concealed to prevent debris from getting back up from the other way. Let me do some looking at a 2011 when I get one in the shop.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician