Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 96 geo tracker that I replaced the head gasket on

Customer Question
and now it won't start...
I have a 96 geo tracker that I replaced the head gasket on and now it won't start. I checked the fuel pressure and did a spark test and both are good. I can not figure out why it won't start. I have rechecked the timing and that was good. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/17/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon

Did you have the head machined? And aren't the valves adjustablei? If so perhaps they are to tight? You have spark aND fuel which we need compression and timing

I had the head machined and I did the valves I used a feeller tool to adjust. How do I know if I have them to tight?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Okay bring top dead center up on number 1 both lobes should be pointing down on your cam in that position set your valves the rocker should be loose with no tension at this point and do each cylinder like that, on your engine adjustment is real sensitive. and if they are to tight she want crank

Ok I will do that today and let you know. A question probably stupid, but a mechanic guy here said that my mass air flow was bad. It was fine before this, I think he's blowing smoke. It couldn't be that, right? Thanks for your help, this car is driving me crazy. I have the service manuals on this car but they are not really helping with information.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Sir if your mass air flow was fine before it is now. Dont' let him mess with you you know how people like to talk when you got a problem. Another thing the lifters in that head or hydraulic and they have to be pumped up did you soak them in trans fluid? if not they may have to spin a while

Uh no I did not soak them, I was not aware of that, so what do I do now about that. FYI I'm a miss, lol.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Maam a thousand pardons. Please allow me to sit here with my foot in my mouth. Well other than taking them out and soaking then not much. And since you are sure your in time. I am inclined to think your problem Wil be with lifters or valves. Is this the 3 cylinder engine? I have been looking everywhere for one of those. Either way go back and ck your adjustment LIke I shared with you if it checks out hook a battery charger up aND spin it over and over just don't burn starter up.

Let me ask you when your cranking it does it sound like it's got compression?

And please forgive me for calLing u sir

It's alright not many women work on cars for sure. When i try to start it, it's like it wants to, it's seems like if u pump the gas it would go like if it had a carb. I checked the pressure I have 40psi on it. No it's a 4
To me when your trying to start it, it sounds like a old car with a carb. When u turned the key and it tried but u had to pump the petal and then it would turn over. That's what it reminds me of (I'm old so remember those cars). It sounds like there's no fuel but tried to start it with starter fluid and still wouldn't kick over. But there's fuel there. The fuel pressure dampner was leaking, boy thAts a hArd part to find most people don't even know what it was, anyway replaced that and no leaks now. I just don't know.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

So you have fuel pressure aND spark

Yep
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Have you tried spinnin it to pump up lifters

No, I ve never done that before
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Let me ask you one of the problems I have around here is getting head work done rigjt. If they didn't grind your valves right and I've had this happen it would be hard to get then to pump up

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Also I have set then to tight spin it over and then back off

I don't know I haven't done a head job in years, I assume they did it right but not sure. The head actually never blew originally it started blowing white smoke and a little water came out, so I knew. But it never blew out like most. But Las Vegas is full of crap mechanics that's why I started doing myself 30 yrs ago.
To be honest I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was done right 100%
I mean this may be dumb but if I have compression. Fuel and spark shouldn't it start?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

You live in Las Vegas. Awesome. The 40 psi was that compression

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes you got fuel spark and compression it Wil start, what about injector pulse

I do, been here 32 years. Yes the fuel pressure was 40psi
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Have you hooked up a scan tool and cked codes

Tested that and it's good
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Okay have you pulled a plug after spinning it and seen if there wet

No I don't have one and they aren't cheap.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

You have convinced me we have a problem with lifters or valves do you have a compression gauge

they were if my memory serves me right.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes maam let me tell u about one I use I paid a 100 bucks for it x431 I diag by launch it works with your smart phone

I have a vacuum pressure gauge, I rented a fuel pressure gauge. I don't know if those would do what you want, but I could probably rent one if u tell me what I need
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

What is compression? Try pulling plugs and disabling injectors and spinning it over long as you can give starter break and spin again and again until u pump up lifters

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes get a compression gauge remove plug screw in gauge and spin motor over and check compression

Ok so I get the pump lifters up then what.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

That will tell us if we have valve or lifter problem

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

It should crank then

Ok another dumb question, it couldn't be a vacuum leakI have never bought one of the code readers cause I have an old ford truck (sorry a ford girl) and it takes 2 different ones cause mine is a 1990. My dad gave me this geo and my girls drive it but it's had problems with little stuff since we have had it. Parts are expensive for this thing. I really don't want to have to tear it down againOk so I should first at this point get a compression gauge?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

I think so yes

I forgot my ford has a problem too that no one can figure out so I'm getting good at wierd issues by now
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Remove all plugs ck each cylinder and let's see what we got.

Me I'm a Chevy man

Ok what first?I won't hold that against you. Lol. My good friend is a Chevy guy too and we give each other crap all the time. Lol.
I forgot to ask where do you live? If you ever come to Vegas let me know and will tAke you out to a show while u are here. You seem to be the only person who knows what there talking about. 😊
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Wow I would love that. I live in Montgomery Al.

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Tell me about your ford

Well might be cheaper to bring you out to fix the car. lol
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Tell me when and im in and im serious

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

What's your ford doing

Ok tell me how much you would want
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

What would it cost me to get there? I couldn't afford the plane and motel. I've had a bad year. It would be nice though. And yes I could get everything u had running

It's a 90 f150. You will be driving and the check engine light comes on and the rpms start going up and down. Then it will stop. Sometimes it gets stuck In 2nd gear then quits. The rpms rev high sometimes when u first start it. It does it at all different times. I have replaced the egr valve the computer. At times it has a vacuum leak but not all the time can't find that. New transmission 3 years ago but that's working fine.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Try this, remove both battery cables tie then together while there together remove your iac valve and clean it and the throttle body really good then hook cables back up crank and let idle then drive this should force your computer to relearn a idle u may need a new iac try cleaning first

Ok I'll tell u what I will check into a flight for you and u can always stay with me. Just you, wife, girlfriend that would come to? I have.a house, I am remodeling, I am 51 yrs old and my daughter 31 and grandson 13 live with me. I have a construction company. It would be worth it to me cause I am so tired of this car. I have all the tools here for sure.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Okay. And no I have no wife or girlfriend I'm 46 and will hop on that plane

Ok when can u come?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Maam I have enjoyed talking to you, it's 1 here I got to get up in few hours. Im goNE be dreaming about vegas

. Tomorrow! !!!!

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago
Reggie
Will call you tomorrow have a good night. Thanks
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Thank you

FYI if you can catch a plane in Atlanta Georgia I can have you on a plane tomorrow. Talk to you tomorrow.
Ok cleaned the plugs and tried to start, almost there. Took plugs back out there wet. Took a video so you could hear it maybe. Was going to call but figured u would be working so call me when u have time.(###) ###-####LaDonna
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Hey la***** ***** day yesterday I crashed out early now here I am. Up to early

Ok let's get back to troubleshooting this car then. What do I do next?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

You have a mechanic on the eay

Ok explain to me what the purpose of a fuel injector pressure dampner is. Please.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

When a fuel pump runs it's actually sending out pulses of fuel. Think of a bucket brigade throwing water those little buckets of fuel need to be smoothed out in order for the injectors to handle them more efficiently. So the pulsator or dampener absorbs and smooths out the flow of fuel. The regulator is set to a certain pressure and is at the end of pressure line aND maintains pressure

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician