BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Why does my engine flutter unexpectedly.

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if this happens at any particular time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually not first thing in the AM (~7:00). Usually when first started any other time of the day, it starts smooth and then it may start in a mile or so as I am driving at an even rate or it may start before I have gone a block, as I am decelerating. And then as quickly as it appears, it is gone, or it may persist for 50 miles, or it may come and go over the course of my drive. It seems like an air/fuel mixture issue- a bit too rich.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the info on what I have done so far?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Typically this is a result of a failing MAP sensor or an issue with one of the oxygen sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a MAP sensor and can I get one at pick n pull? If it is a bad O2 sensor how was I able to recently pass the CA smog test?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

The MAP sensor is the manifold pressure sensor. You can typically get it used but I wouldn't trust another used part. As for the O2 sensors they can simply read incorrectly on an intermittent basis