Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I am trying to install a new cat converter in my 2000 chevy

Customer Question
tahoe 5.3 engine. The...
I am trying to install a new cat converter in my 2000 chevy tahoe 5.3 engine. The cat converter came in two section the section that connects with the muffler section will not fit into place. there is not enough room to get it in there because a cross beam from the frame is in the way. What am i missing you cant have to take off the cross beam.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/13/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

yes,,if the cross member is in the way,you will need to move it out of the way,install the cat. then re-install the cross meber.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67fbttp23ba80vk/1212-tahoe-Removal%20Procedure.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/67fbttp23ba80vk/1212-tahoe-Removal%20Procedure.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim:
The pictures show where all the bolts and oxygen sensors are located I have already taken the old one out had to cut the pipe in half to get it out once bolts were removed (just the converter that is on the passenger side and connects with the tail pipe. Not enough room to get that section back in. I have attached a couple pictures of the cross piece that is in the way. Looks like part of the transmission is bolted to it. No damage or trans wont fall if that cross beam is removed?

its no big deal..remove the two bolts on each side of the cross member,put a jack under the transmission..

and get it out of your way,,then it will be easy to install the cat

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic