Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 Chevy van will no crank

Customer Question
2003 Chevy van will no crank
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/12/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry your having this problem is the battery tested good and are both battery cables clean and tight on the battery ?

what size engine is in this van ?

do you have a multi meter or test light on hand ?

Battery new and good, 350 yes I have meter

5.3 engine ?

if so if you put your fingers on the relay called starter in the under hood fuse box do you feel that relay click with your fingers everytime someone holds the key to the crank position ?

I can jumper under relay and it will crank but won't start

can you see if the fuse called crank in the under hood fuse box will show 12 volts at it when you hold the key to crank position ?

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

No voltage
Engine light not on

can you see if the fuse called IGNA a 40 amp fuse in the under hood fuse box shows 12 volts on both sides of that big fuse testing it in place through the little openings in the tops of that fuse ?

Will do.
Ign e

IGNA

are any of those big fuses blown ?

No

ok does the fuse called IGNA show 12 volts on both sides of it ? testing it with the fuse in place ?

I will have to take glass top off one sec

ok

voltage both sides

ok last check with the key ON does the fuses called PCM IGN1 and IGN0 show 12 volts at both with the key ON ?

Ing 0 has voltage both sides and ing I has no voltage either side

IGNb a 40 amp shows 12 volts on both sides ?

if so then the issue here is a bad ignition switch not powering those fuses when the van is turned on replacing the ignition switch should restore power to those fuses and the computer which should be lighting up the check engine light in the dash and when its not the computer is dead

'the computer is dead because that fuse ign1 has no power when the key is ON

please do not forget to rate us here as i do NOT get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

I have power on that fuse now but still no crank. Engine light is on

was a fuse blown ? how did we get power back all of the sudden ?

There is a relay under the dash that powers a lift and I by passed it. Pink wire going to switch was running through relay. Now it is not

ok so now will the fuse called crank show 12 volts when you hold the key to crank ?

It will start if I jumper under relay, yes I have tried 3 different relays
Crank fuse has voltage both side

ok do you feel the relay click when you hold the key to crank or not ?

I am by myself

ok take the relay OUT and with the key ON do 2 terminals in the box the relay plugs into show 12 volts ?

ok so the only 2 things left are the other 2 terminals which one of them goes right to the starter which is the one you jump to make it crank and then the last terminal which should be a ground from the computer when the key is held to crank

the odds are it is the ground from the computer that is missing causing the relay not to work which is caused by an internal fuse box failure or the yellow/black wire from the fuse box to the computer being bad or the computer itself is bad

there is nothing more it can be causing this problem

Ok

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

van started 5 or 6 times in a row then stopped cranking again.

there has to be a bad computer or bad wire from the computer to the under hood fuse box or the fuse box internally is bad

make sure the connections on the starter are clean and tight and the grounds on the engine

I have 12 volts on the purple wire going into computer in the crank position

ok but NO 12 volts at the terminal at the relay in the box when in crank position ?

What color is the wire from the fuse box coming out of the computer
broken y/b wire from computer. Repaired everything is good. Thanks

great job

dont forget to rate us here

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician