Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My key won't go into ignition.

Customer Question

my key won't go into ignition.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

So the key does NOT insert fully when you put it in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it goes in enough to make it bing if the door is open, but not enough to turn.

Thanks,

It either has a stuck or broken tumbler inside the key cylinder. First thing to try is some spray graphite lube. You can get it at any parts store and just spray some inside where the key goes in then insert and remove the key a few times to get the lube distributed around the tumblers. If its just a stuck tumbler it will free it up and if it doesnt, then the key cylinder will need to be replaced. Most people find is cheaper to just call a mobile locksmith to come out and replace it rather than having it towed to a shop.

Try the spray lube first because it usually takes care of this issue.

LJ

Any further questions?

You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!

LJ