Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 Chevy Express Van 1500 V8 Vortec... vin#

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Express Van 1500 V8 Vortec... vin# ***** changed the oil and needed to replace the dead battery..my son removed the battery and installed new battery...but he did not turn the engine off during that process.. the van started missing
running rough after a few miles.. scanned for codes and shown misfires on cyl 2 and 8 ..I replaced the cap and rotor but still misfires...I did fiqure out the when I start and drive the van cold it runs great for 5 mins or so then starts missing again... any
ideas??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** battery is disconnected with vehicle running it causes charging system to go full blast which can damage electrical components. Considering there was no problem before it sounds like your PCM may have been damaged. I'd monitor injector pulse on cylinders 2 and 8, if pulse drops when vehicle warms up then replace the PCM. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufrld5a3um62igg/inj1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqr58zesl427snr/inj2.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm following up on the 2000 chevy express van.. should I have all the input and output components tested first?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The output would be related to injector circuits so that would be place to start. Let me know how it goes, thanks.