Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a problem with car 96 impala SS. Car run minutes then

Customer Question
Hi I have a problem...
Hi I have a problem with car 96 impala SS. Car run for 10 minutes then shut off and have no injectors pulse and spark. Sometimes won't start till next day. . I change icm,coil,coolant sensor, what am I missing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
12/4/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Eddie, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. This may be a tough one to figure out over the internet, but I'm just going to through some things out there to help hopefully narrow it down first. When it doesn't start after running 10 minutes, If you just turn the key to the ON position, and don't try to start it, does the CHECK ENGINE light come on in the dash? Check engine light should come on everytime you turn the key to the ON position. See if you can correlate the light not coming on with it not starting and let me know what you find there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's always on. I have low resolution on the crank sensor, torque convertor,

Do you have a scanner that you can see what the crank sensor is doing? if so, are you getting an input from the crank sensor? Also, by chance did the transmission get replaced anytime recently and then this problem start occuring? thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have the scanner until 9pm tonight. The tranny was never replace since I own the car 3 years ago. Is the fone call $18 per call or you pay once and all you can call ?

I'm not sure on the billing end. I'm just a technician here. Have you got a spare key by chance? That vehicle has the ole pass lock GM security system key on it. Does that light go out? and will it crank at all when it doesn't start? I'm thinking Pass lock related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car crank but no start. No injectors pulse and spark.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been sitting since 10am this morning. Now she should start right up

OK, Make sure the check engine light comes ON, and the security light comes on for a couple seconds and goes OUT. Just get in the habit of turning the key ON first, and watch those lights. then attempt to start it. Let me know if the check engine light doesn't come on by chance when it won't start with key ON, and let me know if the security light goes out after a couple of seconds of turning the key to the ON position before starting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok she start. I'm gonna let it run till its shut down then I'll look at the check engine light
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok she just shut down again. The security light goes out after a couple of seconds but the check engine light stay on

go Check engine light should stay on with key on, and security light should go out with key on. all that checks out. You looked at the crank sensor harness well and didn't see any fraying or chafing correct? See if you can see a nice square wave of the crank sensor if you can get a scanner that good. If you can see a square wave from the crank sensor, and still don't have injector pulse, with the security light being out, I'm going to say that the ECM itself could be the culprit. Let me know what you find there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The electronic shop check the harness and said it's ok. My scanner won't see the wave. Where do I go to get another ecm ? Will local auto part have access to one ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or can I borrow one from the same car to see if its stay running?

yes you could, at this point if I had an ECM to swap I believe I would try it. make sure it comes out of the same year car (95 and 96 should be same, but double check numbers on the ECM itself). With the Key ON, do you have 12 volts to the injector power wire, should be constant 12 volts to one of the wires going to the injector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I check it with no idea light and I have no flashing. Do I still have to check for 12 volt? So Is the injectors on a negative pulse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Noid

Yes, injectors are on a neg. pulse, one wire will be constantly hot with 12 volts. check it with a regular test light with key ON.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have 12volt key on.

Its highly possible, unplug it, and leave it unplugged, see if it will start and idle unplugged. If it does, put another one on it. Let me know what happens.

Hey, any luck with that test? Tell me it's running!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Change out a maf sensor but still no

Do you have a noid light? to plug into the injector harness to see if it has got any injector pulse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tested already. No injectors pulse and spark when it's not running

Alright, I can only suggest getting a scanner capable of checking that crank sensor input to the ECM, if it had the correct signal to the ECM, I would say the ECM has failed. But, no way to know for sure without those tools, Let me opt out in case another expert has a suggestion. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My scanner showing too fewer pulse from the crank sensor
Chevy Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Have you done anything with the distributor that is behind he water pump?

I have a link that has the diagnostic for no spark. The distributor also controls the injectors.

I have had a lot for problems with this distributor causing stalls and running rough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf67ie0e7dolf0z/1996%20Impala%20Distributor.pdf?dl=0

Please let me know if this helps or if you need help with the diagnostic chart

Thank you

GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician