Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2001 chevy s10 4.3 4 wheel drive. it died on me the

Customer Question
I have a 2001 chevy...
I have a 2001 chevy s10 4.3***** it died on me the other night about a half hour later it started up but died again after 30 seconds don't have money to be doing the parts guessing game any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
12/2/2015
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

HI there, I am Cam.

This sounds like a fuel system issue, so if you want, lets look at some testing first. My first question is this, when did you last replace the fuel filter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't bought the truck a year ago

Ok, Lets replace it. That is a very cheap place to start and likely over due. See if the old one is plugged. It should be easy to blow through, like a large straw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when you crank the motor to try to start it you can smell fuel

OK, good info. Hold on the fuel filter and lets look to the next most common issue, the distributor cap and rotor. Corrosion inside is common. Remove it and inspect for corrosion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cap and rotor are new

OK, Pull a couple plugs and see what they look like. Also was the cap and rotor replaced to diagnose this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
plugs are new also did minor tune up plugs wires cap an rotor no it wasn't done to resolve probl
em

Ok, then we cannot rule out the cap and rotor as I have seen new ones fail. Atleast have a look at those when it will not start.

After that we need to look at the fuel system again. The regulators are common for leaking and would cause both the stalling and the fuel smell. This I would remove the throttle body, then power up the fuel pump and see if you see fuel leaking from the end of the regulator. If it leaks, it confirms the spider assembly is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay thank you

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician