Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 Chevy Express 2500 coolant leak. Dripping from right

Customer Question

2004 Chevy Express 2500 coolant leak. Dripping from right behind the cooling fan off of the water pump.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** oil pressure sounds about normal and the leaking coolant would mean water pump is leaking if it isn't coming from anywhere else. Here are replacement instructions for water pump. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8ra68z202d24y1/wprr1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5ueelgtdg8sw7m/wprr2.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it total coincidence that the water pump started leaking directly after a flush and fill? What are the coolant leak tablets all about? Is there a gasket that can just be replaced where the fan spindle comes out of the pump? Do you have access to a parts explosion? Just to make sure I am telling you the right info and using the right verbiage.
Thanks Dan!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is a coincidence, even if you did have high oil pressure which you don't it wouldn't cause a coolant leak. The bearing in the water pump usually is what gets worn so coolant leaks from behind the pulley, not the actual gasket. Once you are able to get a better look at water pump with fan assembly removed you will be able to see if leak is from behind pulley or gasket but I'm pretty sure it will be gasket. The above links are about as good as it gets with explosion views but it shows everything you will need to work with. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan! I started looking at them after I sent the reply. They are great! I read somewhere that you should replace the thermostat as well when replacing the water pump. Any truth to that? How hard is it to do that?
Thanks Again!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't replace the thermostat, its not like you would be saving time because thermostat is a easy job by itself if it was to ever fail sometime down the road. If vehicle was having temperature problems it would be a different story but not with a leak. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Dan,
I got it all done. Only one issue. No heat. The temp runs high, up to 225 or so. 240 when I had it revving for a bit at 2000-2500 rpms. I let it run at idle for about 20 minutes. High temp and no heat. Thermostat??? It looked fine to me (what do I know). I replaced the rubber gasket from the thermostat to the housing and I also added the paper gasket in-between the housing and the water pump because they both came with the new water pump. The van seems to run fine otherwise and no leaks that I can see.
I examined the two old gaskets from the water pump to the engine block. Each gasket had a round and a square opening. It looked like the square ones on each side has blown out. The round ones seemed ok.
Please let me know what you think and thanks for your help thus far.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have air in system. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

-

Cooling System Bleed Procedures

Procedure

1. Open the cooling system bleeding screws.
  2. Slowly fill the cooling system with coolant.
  3. Close the cooling system bleed screws.
  4. Install the coolant pressure cap.
  5. Start the engine.
  6. Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  7. Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
  8. Shut off the engine and allow to cool.
  9. Top off the coolant as necessary.