JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I'm looking at buying a new 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT

Customer Question

I'm looking at buying a new 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT Z71 that has the Rocky Ridge Alpine package on it (4" suspension lift, 35" tires, other cosmetic additions). They adjusted the speedometer, did a front end alignment, and did road force balancing (don't know what that is). The warranties are unaffected by the Rocky Ridge package. They didn't adjust the real axle ratio from 3.42 to something else. My questions are: Is the lift and change in tire size going to screw up the transmission? Am I going to be dealing with a truck that will be plagued with alignment, transmission, balancing, tire wear, etc problems? Is the Rocky Ridge a reputable company I can trust? Not all dealerships seem to stock their inventories with Rocky Ridge adjusted Silverados.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

They are a great package. With the tires the one thin I can say is the bigger the tire the harder it is to balance. But if you buy good quality tires it should be no issue. The transmission should have no issue. I would suggest following schedueled maintenance and never let trans temperature go over 200 degrees.. Its a excellent package with quality parts you should have no worries

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You say that the transmission "should" have no issues. What are the typical costs of fixing a busted transmission? Is it around the $1000 range, $5000, or higher? I'm guessing that's a loaded question, but I'm nervous about 4-7 years down the line when the warranty expires and I'm left with paying for it out of pocket should something happen.

The tires are not that much bigger... Average price for a trans rebuild is in the 3000 to 3500 range.. Transmission temp can raise from towing, pulling and mudding.. High fluid temps is the #1 cause of failure and lack of maintenance is the second.. I would flush the fluid every 50,000 miles it will help longevity

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you