K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Just purchased a 03 ZR2 Blazer. I noticed the sunroof is not

Customer Question

Just purchased a 03 ZR2 Blazer. I noticed the sunroof is not stopping in the closed position. I searched through the owners manual and could not find one reference to power sunroof operation. If I push and release the switch in the rear position, the sunroof will open and stop at the 1/2 open position. If I push and hold the switch in the forward position, the sunroof will move forward and open to the vent position. From the vent position, If I press the switch to the rear, the sunroof will again open to the halfway position. I obvisiouly have an issue going on. The sunroof is by-passing the closed position and is not opening all the way. Motor sounds good, no clicking/grinding. Sunroof appears to slide w/out issue. No binding......
I found a posts about re-calibrating the switch/module and drive motor timing but don't know how correct that is.
I've found references online to a sunroof module GM # ***** could also be faulty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Regards,
Rob
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having may be caused by the motor being out of Synchronization and the place to start is to see if you can reset it. To do so you will need to remove the motor, see the steps to do so in the link below as well as the steps to do the Synchronization.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Synchronization%20Nov%2014.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Motor%20remove%20Nov%2014.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ron,Thank you for responding. I am going to have to drop the headliner to remove the motor. After removing the short overhead console, there is a plastic bracket covering one of the screws for the sunroof motor. I am going to try and see if I can loosen up the front of the liner and move the bracket vs taking the whole thing down. Also the photos in the "how to" document you provided do not match my Blazer. I am assuming they are just generic photos. I did see that setup in a 99 Blazer at the salvage lot yesterday though. Thanks for your time.Rob
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you working on a S 10 Blazer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
H Ron,I was under the impression GM stopped the S-10 designation beginning with the 2000 model year?? If I look up any type of part for the truck I have to select "Blazer" vs "S-10 Blazer" from the list to give me the correct "year" selection. It is a 2003 ZR2 2dr 4WD Blazer. It is not the full size Blazer.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In 2003 they made the Blazer LS, Blazer Extreme and the Blazer ZR2, which one are you working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 2nd gen ZR2 Blazer with the optional LS trim package.....ie power seats, power windows, rear window convenience package, etc
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Here are the steps I am showing for the ZR2.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Motor%20-actuator%20Nov%2014.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,Thats the same document I found in searching the net last night as well. Do you know if the timing procedure is still the same?? It specifically states to "Not" move the sunroof glass while the motor is removed...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The timing should be the same, see the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Timing%20Nov%2015.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...... I will head back out to the truck and see if i can remove the motor w/out taking the entire headliner down. Thanks for your time....
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,Ended up having to take down the headliner. The timing procedure did not work. Followed the directions to the letter. After moving the roof to sit flush w/the rear of the opening, re-installed the motor. When pushing the switch to the forward position. The roof would close halfway and stop. Just about the same position as before. When pushing the switch to the rear, the roof would retract all the way hitting the stops and then the motor would start to click/grind. I pulled the motor again and moved the roof as far forward as I could get it and re-installed the motor. Thankfully I am right back to where I started with this and was able to get the sunroof closed by moving the switch back and forth until the sunroof sits flush with the roof line. While I had the liner down, I also replaced the sunroof module with one I found at a salvage yard from another 03 Blazer. Still the same problem with the sunroof by-passing the closed position. I really thought the module was the issue and was surprised that the replacement did not solve the problem. I have read several forum posts about faulty modules preventing the sunroof from closing properly. I suppose it's possible i got another faulty module from the yard. Do you have any other suggestions by any chance?? Thanks......Rob
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not, I can open the post back up you if you would like, perhaps someone else with have something new to add. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,Sure, open the post back up. Worth a shot. I am running out of options quickly. I loath the idea of having to take this issue to the dealer but I might not have a choice. Thank you for your help and time. I appreciate it.Rob
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Doing so now.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I've got a chart you can go through to check the components. You'll need a test light. Let me know if I can help further.