GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have no dash or tail lights and have checked all fuses and

Customer Question

I have no dash or tail lights and have checked all fuses and bulbs and have no voltage to the fuse
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

On yours with no interior lights or no outside park lights, it suggests a problem with one of three things. First it could be the switch in the steering column, the headlights switch. If that does not turn the park lights on, then it could be bad. Second is the wiring between the Body Control Module (BCM) and that headlight switch. The last item and honestly the most common is the Body Control Module (BCM)Under the center I/P below the radio on the right side of the center console and is the dash fuse block. This is not a plug and play unit and would need to be programmed and setup to operate not only the security of the vehicle but the air bag system and other systems properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried all above still no lights
Didn't want to pay $90 to get the BCM analysis

That’s going to be the only way to verify the BCM is truly bad. Myself, knowing these, I would simply replace it. The odds of it not being the issue are very slim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I replace it doesn't it still need reprogramming

IT does, yes. That is the down side to the computer controlled system. It needs programming to replace it. There is no possible way to get around this as the modules are basically brain dead when you get them, It’s the programming to your VIN that gives it the instructions to work.