sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Rear access open and over lights alarm on I open and close

Customer Question

Rear access open and over lights alarm on I open and close the rear gate and resets a min later it goes back on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is most likely going to be a failure of the liftgate latch.

Make sure that the liftgate is actually fully closing. I've seen adjustment issues where it appeared that a door was closed but it was actually on the primary latch rather than the latch fully closing. You could have a striker or liftgate adjustment issue or physical damage, but that's not likely to be the case because it should be apparent.

Odds are you have a latch issue. There are microswitches in the latch that are monitored by the liftgate module so the module knows the state of the pawl and other latch components. It's likely that the module is seeing the pawl switch showing released and that's why the ajar warning comes on. the fact that you're opening and closing the liftgate and having it go off for a period also makes it very likely to be the latch, you're not really disturbing anything but the latch when closing it again.