AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2003 chev malibu it only starts when it is boosted

Customer Question

i have a 2003 chev malibu it only starts when it is boosted once i turn it of it won't start back on its own it has a new battery and the alternator is charging but the fue pump relay makes a noise when am trying to crank it without the boost and ignition is weak
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Did you still need help? What size engine do you have? Are you saying that it does not crank or are you saying that it cranks over but does not start when this happens? Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts only when it is boosted not on its own but has a new battery in it and the charging system is oh k
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. This would either indicate a bad new battery or a bad connection at or after the battery. Are you sure the connections are clean and tight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the battery is connections are tight and clean but the fuel pump relay makes a noise when I am trying to start it without boosting it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what is the battery voltage at and the voltage on the fuses at when the key is turned to the CRANK position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's showing 12 but when ignition is on the test light is dimmed when am checking the fuses it's not bright
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the battery and the rest of the vehicle should remain above 10.0 volts with the key in the CRANK position. It sounds to me like you have a bad connection at or after the battery. Just because the cables are clean and tight does not mean they are making good contact. Also, you could have a bad connection going into the fuse block.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a fuse that makes a noise inside the also on the passenger side it's a 30 amp fuse silver in colour it's at the glove box
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Fuses dont make noise unless they blow or pop. Chances are it is a relay making the noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel pump relay makes a constant noise when I try starting it on its own
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Right, this is either low voltage or a bad PCM. It sounds like you have a low voltage issue. Most likley due to a bad connection. HAve you checked all of the grounds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I checked that though cause my test lights is really dim when I check the fuses
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

You will need an assistant to crank the engine over while you check for voltage under the hood

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

While you check for voltage on the fuses under the hood.