GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have a 1991 Chevy 1500 with 5.7 motor. When cold engin will

Customer Question

Have a 1991 Chevy 1500 with 5.7 motor. When cold engin will start and idle just fine, after motor warms up to operating temp, when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign motor dies. You can start back up and go on it runs great till you stop again, I've tried to shift into neutral and that helps if you don't have to sit for more that 15-20 seconds. We have replaced all sensors, cap rotor button, the pick up, the distributor module, wires plugs, rebuilt tbi, frustrated please help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

can you see how it runs for me when you unplug the timing bypass connector?

im sorry, its a tan and black wire located near the firewall.

These were really bad on distributers, they had excess play and the pickup coils went on them, by uplugging the bypass connector it usually runs better if its the distributer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will in the morning, Then I can drive it like this?

you can, It will drive like loss of power though. Its meant for setting the timings so the advance is not optimal.

Give it a shot and let me know. I use to replace these dirstibuters all the time for stalling and low idle (after i repalced the iac motor of course, lol)

I wouldnt do it for a permanent fix though, just to eliminate the distributer.

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks will do probably won't drive, will let you know.

hi there,

just checking how your progress went!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam,
We have bought a new distributor and wires, got them installed and had to go work on buses. We will get to drive it Monday hopefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam,
We replaced the distributor, wires and plugs, started it up and it was rough running. let set and it finally smoothed out but when it reached operation temp and put it in gear it still dies. I put it in gear while it was cold and it would sit and idle, again as soon as I put it in gear it's like you turn the switch off.

did it make any difference with the timing connector disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do these wires go to the module in the bottom of the distributor?

no, it is located along the firewall, taped to the main harness. it is a tan/black wire.

single long connector.

it will look like this - see pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't down load your attachment

sorry it was corrupt fir some reason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've seen that one will do