Dr.Carz
Dr.Carz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years in and still going
35496794

I have a 2010 chevy cobalt with 106000 miles. its a 2.2l l4

Customer Question

i have a 2010 chevy cobalt with 106000 miles. its a 2.2l l4 engine with a 4speed od automatic transmission. at 35mph and 2000rpm the tach will drop to 1000rpm and then jump back to 1500 almost immediately. at that point it goes between 1200 and 1700 and the engine hesitates or misses or possibly the transmission slips (not sure). its not a continuous thing but does happen often enuf to be very noticeable. the transmission is full on fluid (I had it checked). I just bought the car 2 weeks ago from a dealer and need to figure it out. I hope this is enuf to at least give me some options to have checked out further
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a coil may be dropping out I have seen coils emit enough RF interferance to cause gauge malfunctions. If happens long enough check engine light will flash. Should be able to catch with scan tool. Ground wires and battery connections are another cause. Take a general look around under the hood wire routing battery cable tightness, give them a wiggle anything out of place. hope this helps. please let me know if there is anything more I can do.

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

How is the cobalt doing have not received an update. Please remember to rate my service and accept Thank You.