Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 engine. Cranks with no start. Sprayed

Customer Question

2005 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 engine.
Cranks with no start.
Sprayed starting fluid into air filter chamber and would start and run for 5 seconds.
No voltage at fuel pump.
No voltage at fuse for fuel pump.
Have voltage (12 volts) on the 4 prong fuel relay marked 30.
No voltage on fuel relay markings 85, 86, or 87 with the key in the on position.
The Fuel Relay Switch does not click when key turned to on position.
No engine diagnostic codes.
No anti-theft light on dash.
Does the ignition switch provide the other 12 volts to the fuel relay switch or does the power for the relay come from the ECM?
What do I check next and how?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** check engine light come on for bulb check when first turning key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stays on with the key in the on position. I do not get any engine codes with my scanner.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You say the fuel pump fuse does not have power, that would point toward fuse box failing. Take a wire and jump directly from battery power to fuse box fuse. If that allows it to start, replace fuse box. Here is a wire diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ish6idn5vu9dvsx/oba1504721a.png?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Instead of putting power to the fuse, I put power to the #86 prong on the 4 way fuel pump relay, it gives the fuse power and will now start up and run. I am trying to figure out where the power comes from for the fuel pump relay.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Main power wire that feeds fuse box, feeds the fuel pump fuse. So if fuel pump fuse doesn't have power but other fuses have power that would mean the fuse box has failed. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the #30 prong on the fuel pump relay and it has 12 volts. It is the other wire for #86 (this switches the power on and off for the fuel pump) that feeds the fuel pump relay that has no power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump relay feeds the power to the fuse in my book.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, 86 gets power from PCM pin 14 of connector 1 via dark green/white wire. Check to see if wire at PCM has voltage while trying to start. If wire has voltage at PCM check to see if dark green/white wire going into fuse box has voltage, if not run new wire. If wire has voltage at fuse box but relay doesnt have voltage that means fuse box has failed. I think you may be looking at diagram wrong if your looking at same one I am which I included in link above. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.