GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an 03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4. I have to rebuild my

Customer Question

I have an 03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4. I have to rebuild my transfer case, it is a stock NP261. I was wondering if there is a way that I could add a PTO system to it? Also, I heard that there is a plate cover to fix the pin hole leak from the pump, is that
true?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

On your transfer case, it is actually a NV246 transfer case and there is no prevision to add a PTO.
There is a redesigned clip that installs on the back housing to prevent the pump wear hole in the back housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My names Brandon. Is that clip a permanent fix or should I weld it? Is there a difference between the NP261 and the NV246 because the case says on it NP261? And I dont know if you can answer this for me or not but on my E-brake no cables are cut but the pedal sinks right to the floor, would that be the pedal?

The case half may be the same. The big difference between the 246 and 261 is the 261 does not have the automatic 4wd setting, you get 4hi, 4lo and 2 hi. For the clip, you cannot weld it on, the clip is steel, pump ear aluminum and back case half is magnesium alloy. Anyway the design does not require any form of attachment as it stays in place on its own.

For your brake, that likely means the shoes in the rear rotors are out of adjustment. You have to get the rotors off to adjust the shoes, there is no access to adjust them.