Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

The temp gauge on my 2001 suburban (8.1) doesn't work. When

Customer Question

The temp gauge on my 2001 suburban (8.1) doesn't work. When you turn on the key, the needle ticks up a bit to just over 160 but never moves.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

if you turn the key ON and unplug the ECT sensor connector # ***** in this picture what will the gauge read ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

located on the passenger side cylinder rhead

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key off the needle is just below 160. With the key on it ticks just above 160. When I unplugged the temp sensor it made no difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light came on around the same time as the gauge stopped working. It seems to run fine otherwise.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if you unplug it with the key ON and there is NO check engine light coming on when you are driving the truck the temp gauge itself is bad in the gauge cluster

the gauge cluster would need to be replaced or sent out for repairs i am sorry to say

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer for any follow up anytime as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the check engine light is on and the code if for anything to do with the coolant temp sensor then either one of the wires from the sensor to the computer is shorted or bad or an issue with the computer itself

if it was just the sensor unplugged with the key ON it should max out since it is not maxing out the sensor is good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get a hold of a cheap code reader and see what the code is.I think this started the same day I disconnected the battery for a while. Do you think there's a connection?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there should not be any connection with the battery disconnect causing this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to check the wires between the sensor and the computer? I'm not sure where the computer is. I assume if it's accessible I could just test the continuity with a multitester if I can determine which wire it is at the computer. Is there another/better way?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ohming the wires end to end is the best test on the wires

# ***** in this picture is the PCM ( computer )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it shot. Probably not until tomorrow. Is there a way to continue this conversation after I test the wires?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

you can always get me back through this post any time

even after you rate us here for FREE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had a chance to check the continuity from the sensor to the ECU yet but yesterday I took a long trip with it and later in the day the temp sensor started working again. I'm not sure if this would lean toward a wire/connection issue or an underlying ECU issue. Any thoughts? I'd like to keep pursuing it hoping to find the ultimate problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually these end leaning torwards the wiring/connector causing these type of intermittent issues

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?