Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2004 Silverado extended cab 1500 V8 manual AC WITH center

Customer Question
Hi.. 2004 Silverado extended cab...
Hi.. 2004 Silverado extended cab 1500 V8 manual AC WITH center console/bucket seats D07.. Several door actuators giving probs.. Will start with the main one I want to fix.. Mode.. Air was blowing only out of defrost.. Tech 2 showed B0263 current.. Also showed B0263 and B3770 in history.. Tech 2 also showed the proper setting that matched the knob setting as I turned the mode knob.. Got a Dorman replacement that is supposed to be for mode/manual AC/with D07.. I unplugged old mode actuator and removed it. I then installed new mode actuator, cleared codes, turned off ignition, plugged up the actuator, started the engine, did the relearn with tech 2, and waited one minute before touching anything.. Now I have no codes but air is now only blowing out of the panel no matter what the setting is.. I look up from the drivers side floorboard and I see the actuator turning but there's a black plate behind it that had the stem on it that the actuator slides onto.. doesn't seem to want to rotate as the actuator turns and it's sort of loose from the case.. 2 questions.. Trying to loosen and remove or put in and tighten that top screw with the tight space between it and the part of the instrument carrier (?) is a pain from the floorboard looking up..I had to get a really short 8mm wrench to start the unscrewing then a really short socket alone with no ratchet to finish removing it.. Then fingers.. Is there an easier way? The service manual does say to remove the seats and console if there is one but seems like there's just more metal/brackets/and carrier behind that under the radio and hvac module.. So if I remove the seats and console, will I be able to see an get to the top screw better ? Also, how do I get the door and the plate behind it(with grooves and little pins in the grooves) to march up properly? Or is the door itself possibly binding or broken? Thanks! Shannon
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Somehow I seem to have paid $38 up front .. I thought I was paying a 5 dollar deposit.... I still need help with this. Thanks
10/29/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

First off the GM part number for the mode door actuator is 89018374.You will want to use this number and contact the parts store to see if they can cross reference it to make sure they supplied you the correct actuator as the incorrect actuator will cause issues here.

Below is the correct procedure on replacing this actuator.The actuator should have came with the large cam gear attached to it.If it didn't you need one that does have this gear on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfi2m5sk5d2m96x/m-10-29.gif.crdownload?dl=0

1. Remove the floor air outlet duct extension (1) from the floor duct (2). 2. Remove the center console. 3. Remove the screws from the center console duct. 4. Remove the center console duct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjgb4avq65c70jr/mo-10-29.gif?dl=0

5. Disconnect the electrical connection from the mode actuator (10).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g02bsgo42wq0giy/mod-10-29.gif?dl=0

6. Remove the mode actuator mounting screws from the HVAC module. 7. Remove the mode actuator as an assembly with the actuator cam.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jup194p1g4lbyy/mode-10-29.gif?dl=0

1. Install the mode actuator as an assembly with the actuator cam. - Line up the heater/defroster valve lever with the mode actuator cam slot. - Line up the A/C valve lever with the mode actuator cam. 2. Install the mode actuator mounting screws to the HVAC module. Tighten Tighten the screws to 1.6 N.m (14 lb in).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ac12vn9dss5o90/modes-10-29.gif?dl=0

3. Connect the electrical connection at the mode actuator (10).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68a2e00rspk1jcy/modess-10-29.gif?dl=0

4. Install the center console duct. 5. Install the screws to the center console duct. Tighten Tighten the screws to 1.6 N.m (14 lb in). 6. Install the center console. 7. Install the floor air outlet duct extension (1) to the floor air duct (2).

After this is replaced properly then the calibration is done with the Tech 2.It is possible the new actuator is faulty.If the new actuator is o.k. or is replaced again (you should be able to get another free of charge under a parts warranty from the parts store you purchased it from just let them know it doesn't work) and the recalibration is done and the fault still occurs then I suspect that the door itself is jammed or broken in the heater box.In this case the dash has to be removed unfortunately and then the heater box removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

The money is only a deposit.If there are any issues or worries on this let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Pete, Auto Service Technician