BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

1995 chevy 5.7. idles rough but under load gets worst. More

Customer Question

1995 chevy 5.7. idles rough but under load gets worst. More of a surge. Not always constant.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this occurs? Does it seem to be worse when the engine is hot or cold? Does it ever run perfectly fine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At idle the RPMs vary up & down by 3-4 hundred. Put truck in gear and it gets worse. The engine light came on when scan tool was connected. It flashed 1 time then a slight pause and flashed 2 more times. Always runs rough hot or cold. If I give it gas you can't feel the condition only when at idle or truck in gear sitting still.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you may have an internal engine failure or it may be a bad sensor. When was the engine last tuned up? Do you have a vacuum gauge to run some tests?