Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe which is reading no oil pressure.

Customer Question
Hello!i have a 2007 Chevy...
Hello!i have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe which is reading no oil pressure. There is oil and truck is running great. Changed sensor and light is still coming on. What do I check next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/26/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

If you really don't have low oil pressure, then it must be the sensor, or the connector to the sensor:

1. Verify the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor is connected.

2. If it is, disconnect the connector. Using a suitable jumper, short the Tan/White wire to the Gray wire.

3. Check the scanner value displayed for "Engine Oil Pressure Sensor" voltage. It should now read 5.0 volts. If you don't have a scanner, then check to see if the indicator warning has gone out.

4. If it does, verify a good connection at the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor.

5. If the indicator goes out and the message goes away then either replace the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor again or you will have to use a pressure tester to check the actual oil pressure at the oil filter.

It could also be a stuck open oil pressure relief valve letting oil flow back down to the pan too quickly and not activating the sensor:

1. Remove the oil filter. Install adapter and the oil pressure gauge.

2. Remove the oil pressure sender at the top rear of the block. Remove the oil screen and inspect for debris or restriction. Clean or replace as required. Install a 2nd oil pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sensor.

3. Start and run the engine to operating temperature. If the oil pressure is correct at the filter gauge and low at the oil pressure sensor gauge, check the Active Fuel Management Oil Pressure Relief Valve in the oil pan.

Thank you

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Please don't forget to rate. That's how we experts get paid.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician