Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

HELP!! I have a 1993 Lumina 3.1, that has an elusive

Customer Question
stalling idling issue. I have...
HELP!! I have a 1993 Lumina 3.1, that has an elusive stalling idling issue. I have replaced many sensors, to include IAC,TPS,MAP,Ignition coil pack assembly (with the control unit under it.) Here's the thing..When the car is cold, it will run and idle fine. After about 20 minutes of driving it, all hell breaks loose. When coming to a stop light, it will chug and idle erratically, then fall on it's face and die. Did find wires to the crank sensor rubbing the oil pan to the point of being bare, so I repaired that. The transmission works fine. I checked for vacuum leaks, none found. Ohmed out injectors, they all show good resistance 13.1 ohms, when warm. I am at my wits end. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Oh..and no codes from diagnostic test......arrrgh!!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/25/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry your having this problem

it sounds like you just about replaced everything in this car

when it dies will it start back up like nothing is wrong or you have to wait for it to start back up for a while after it dies ?

It will start, but it takes several cranks, and it will idle high, sometimes sputter and die again..it's all over the place...

i am assuming the fuel pressure is good when this happens ?

if so are you 100 % sure those 2 crank sensor wires are good and fixed correctly and in good shape ?

Fuel pressure at 35 psi, steady, when fuel pressure regulator unplugged goes up to 45 psi. Those crank sensor wires are fixed correctly.

ok at this point with everything you have replaced this issue with NO codes set usually comes down to one of 2 things

the crank sensor itself or the computer

usually replacing the crank sensor and if it still acts up replace the computer will correct this issue from the sounds of it everything else tests good

Gary, why would it fail when warm, and not cold..I thought you got a no start condition when the crank sensor failed?
At one time, someone has replaced the PCM..Can I go to a salvage yard and get one to replace it? Is that an option??

both these crank sensors and computers are temp related to when they act up

i have seen so many of these doing what yours is with either one being bad with no codes

i would lean more towards the computer with the crazy idle and revving when its acting up as that is the only thing thing to can control enough on the engine to do so and yes a crank sensor is more apt to just not have spark but again i have seen them cause these type of issues

yes a junk yard for a computer of the same year and engine size would plug right into this car BUT make sure you swap the chip from the old PCM to the replacement PCM

the issue with these PCM's where internally the glue on the boards inside the PCM was not a good glue and temp will make the internal connections come and go especially when warmer

Is the chip swap a difficult thing to do??..i have never done it..

not at all

once the computer is out 2 small bolts will need to be removed to remove the cover to access the chip once the cover is off pop out the old computer chip and pop it into the replacement computer it only goes in one way and you can not mess that up at all

I'll try buying a new crank sensor first...then..if that doesn't do it, i'll get a PCM. I shall report back..today..

sure thing

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

how are you making out ?

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

how is the car running ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician