Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

HOW MANY AIR FLOW ACTUATORS ARE THERE IN A 2009 IMPALA? I…

HOW MANY AIR FLOW ACTUATORS...
HOW MANY AIR FLOW ACTUATORS ARE THERE IN A 2009 IMPALA? I REPLACED THE ONE JUST INSIDE GLOVE COMPARTMENT PER RECOMMENDATION FROM ONLINE BUT TAPPING/CLICKING NOISE PERSISTS.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2015
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 6 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if you have manual or automatic air?

Don't understand the question. What do you consider "manual air?'
Ok. Sorry early in morning. Been up all night at work. I have " manual" air if you mean temperature control?
Hello?

Sorry for not getting back with you earlier. I was not online. Thanks for the reply. You will have a total of 5 actuators under the dash. Can you tell me when the noise occurs and if it changes when changing any of the HVAC settings.

Sometimes it will quit when I switch from recirculation to fresh air. Other times that has no effect. This morning it was cool so I switched on heat/defrost and it started popping and I adjusted temperature and it quit.

Thank you. And you replace the blend door motor already?

Blend door actuator?
Temperature mode valve actuator" is what the part I installed which is located inside the glove compartment if I replaced the correct part. This was before I learned that there is more than one "actuator."

Thank you. From what you are saying it sounds like it may be the mode door actuator. I typically recommend checking each of these actuators by placing your hand on them to see which one is making noise.

How do I determine where the actuators are located? I don't even know how many there are or where they are located. And based on the number of complaints about this problem why GM hasn't recalled or offered a reasonable costing fix?When I was replacing the actuator inside glove compartment "the blend door actuator?" I heard the noise coming undoubtedly from another location under the dash
That's not where the sound is coming from. Sounds more like towards center of console

Could it be near #2 in the picture?

I changed the "air temperature actuator right?" (CJ3) Or mode actuator? Difficult to determine from drawing. Are all the actuators the same?

Unfortunately not. Each one has a different set of internal gearing and positional sensors.

I recon it could be "near" #2 but it could be near #7. Bot***** *****ne is there a way to access these other actuators short of totally disassembling the dash?

Unfortunately you can possibly feel them by getting a finger on each one and you can feel it it is making noise. Replacing it is a whole other monster as it will take quite a bit of work to access them.

Well that sucks. But you have answered my question basically it seems. The diagram definetly did that. Do you get a lot of queries regarding this "tapping noise" issue?

Yes. This is one of the most common complaints on GM vehicles. Unfortunately they do not have to recall something like this since it is not considered a safety issue.

BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician