Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 6.0. Ive owned it since new.

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2007...
Hello, I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 6.0. Ive owned it since new. Occasionally ( apporx 1 out of 30) when I get in and start the truck, all electronics stay off. All dash info, radio, sounds everything. I have to turn the truck off, open and shut driver door and restart. This has happend since brand new. I took it to chevy many times always to get the answer "bring it in when it happens" and because of the nature, that was impossible.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/21/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

I know you have checked for recalls, but I would like to check for service bulletins, which are a bit different than recalls. I just need the vin number. Based upon my experience and symptoms, I suspect the IP Cluster or a loose body ground behind the dash.

Thank you Eric Vin # ***** *****

HI,

Ok, bunches of service bulletins on electrical failures regarding the ip cluster, radio and other systems. I believe we need to start with check the wiring harness near the parking brake. I have uploaded the bulletin that has excellent photos of the harness you need to check and how to repair. If this checks out fine, we will go from there.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Ok, thank you. Where do I find the upload?

HI,

hmmm, guess it didnt upload. let me try again - ok, should be attached at bottom of this answer - click on it to open and then download and/or print

ok, I received it. again thank you. I will check this out tomorrow and get back to you.

HI,

sounds good.

Good Morning Eric, I spent some time under the dash this morning. I combed through the 5 contact points listed, no sign of damage or stress. I went a step further and followed to the connectors, no find there either.

HI,

Ok, at the BCM(see attached diagram), located behind driver side of the dash, as well as at the IP Cluster, remove the harness connectors to them and on the harness side connectors, inspect them for tiny black specks. This is known as fretting corrosion. If you find it, use some emory cloth to clean it off, then apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the connectors and reinstall. This is a well known issue in the mid 2000s GM trucks and suvs.

ok, Ill check it out. one question, " this is a well known issue in the mid 2000s GM trucks and suvs." Are you referring to the intermittent issue im having, or the possible tiny black specs?

HI,

The tiny black specks, fretting corrosion is the well known issue

Hello Eric, I am unable to reach and remove the connector. I am going to set up an appointment at my local shop. Before I take it in, I wanted to know if you had any further ideas what this issue could be? Id like to have the shop perform all while its there. Thank you

The only other things are to test the IP Cluster and BCM for correct operation.

Thank you Eric, I will pass this info along to the mechanic. Absolutely will rate you, I just wanted to get through the issue first. I have a 2nd question, I will start a new request. thank you very much

HI,

You are welcome and always happy to help

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager