Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I own a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. About a year ago while driving I

Customer Question

I own a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. About a year ago while driving I lost all forward motion. At first I assumed I had trany problems but later found when I switched from 2WD to any of the other 3 four wheel drive choices the vehicle moved fine. I have been driving it in auto 4WD since. Occasionally I switch back to 2WD and it works fine for a few miles then I lose forward motion again. As soon as I put it back in Auto 4WD it works fine again. I was told it was a transfer case but by now the transfer case should be leaking and failing. It is not. Is it possible it is in the switch?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

from what your saying when the transfer case is shifted in and out and it will work again the odds are and is very common is the transfer case encoder motor on the side of the transfer case causing this issue

a switch usually would not cause this issue and if the fluid is clean and full and there is no transfer case abnormal noises at all replacing the encoder motor on the transfer case usually corrects this type of issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no "service 4WD " message on my dash. Does that change your thinking at all.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

that usually leans up more to to the encoder motor as usually with a switch or even 4WD module being an issue those both would trigger the service 4WD message

if the inside of the transfer case is good the only thing left would be the encoder motor

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?