Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2002 chevy suburban and the instrument cluster is

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2002 chevy suburban and the instrument cluster is not working I followed all the advice on the web and it said look at the 50 amp fuses under hood checked all good when I hook up the cable to my code reader to the odb2 port the dash works fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you want to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Below are all the powers and grounds to the instrument cluster to check.

Orange wire power all the time from the radio fuse.

Brown wire power with the key on from the cruise fuse.

Pink wire power all the time from the IGN O fuse.

Pink wire power all the time from the IGN 1 fuse.

Black wire ground.

If those are all good then the cluster is faulty.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but what I don't understand is when I have just the cable to my odb2 scanner plugged in the scanner itself isn't hooked up the dash works fine when I disconnect the cable from the port the dash goes out

Can you check it both ways to let me know if the cluster is losing power or ground. This will tell me if there is a communication wiring issue. I did not read your post right about the scanner connected fixing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the scanner isn't connected to the vehicle just the cord is

Thanks for the update, let me know once you check those fuses and wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything looks connected and fuse are all good

Thanks for confirming at the cluster with the OBD cord connected and removed the wires to the cluster are powered and grounded. This confirms its a module communication issue. Are there any communication faults when scanning all modules?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no im not getting any codes

Okay I now need to know which engine you have and what size suburban 1500 etc...?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 2002 1500 5.3ltr

Key on, what is the voltage on the purple wire to the data link connector?

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris