Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 05 chevy 2500 it has a 6.0l i just replaced my

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 05 chevy 2500 it has a 6.0l i just replaced my power steering pump, it was getting rusty and the lines were leaking. the new pump went in without any problems. but now i am having problems bleeding it. i went through all the steps as listed in alldata. but still no luck. it has a hydro boost system. any ideas.... thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

These hydroboost trucks are pain in the tail to get bled.

Did you try:

Raise the front end off the ground, run the engine for a minute or so, then turn the engine off and turn the wheels all the way to the left and press the brake 12 times. Then turn all the way to the right and press the brake 12 times. Then start the engine and run for about a minute and shut it off again. Keep doing that about 5 times. Then with the engine running push the brake 12 times and then turn the wheel lock to lock 15 to 20 times. If the fluid gets too foamy in the reservoir you might have to let it sit for about 10 minutes and then try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will try... also if i bring rpms over 2000 power steering seems to work fine.. any thing under there is no assist

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you use the Valvoline syn power steering fluid as indicated in the TSB?

I'm not sure how much weight I give that advice, but GM seems to think it makes a huge difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in used autozones "power steering fluid says it "meets or exceeds All gm oem specifications

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Yeah it meets it, but for some reason GM thinks the Valvoline syn power is the best bet when replacing the pump, especially when using reman pumps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no luck

tried 2 times

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any other ideas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should i change the fluid? or go with a new pump

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Do you have pressure gauges where you could test the pressures from the pump? Did you use reman or new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

reman pump

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Vision brand?

I think you may have to try swapping the pump again. Maybe go for an ACDelco if available. Also, make sure all of your lines are tight with new teflon seals or o-rings. The supply line will sometimes pull air into the system if they aren't crazy tight.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Also, don't forget to give a positive rating (that's how we experts get paid).